Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The M.I.C.E. Impact

Over the past week or so I have been reading about destination management and the planning and processes involved in getting a destination to be "tourist-attractive". From what I read, its not an easy thing to do....in fact, its quite challenging. This got me thinking about the M.I.C.E. segment of the tourist market and how much quicker it is to see M.I.C.E. activities impacting a destination or city. It is no wonder that most local/regional/national governments have in their tourism development mandate the promotion of M.I.C.E. capabilities.

The M.I.C.E. segment impacts economies in numerous ways:
- generating increased visitor traffic (business travellers attending exhibitions, conventions etcO
- bringing in higher yield visitors (business travellers tend to have higher spending power)
- generating repeat visitor traffic
- as M.I.C.E. activities increase in a destination, there is almost always some increased investments in infrastructure and services upgrading
- the non-seasonality of M.I.C.E. activities helps take up the slack in low periods....periods when leisure visitor numbers fall
- generate demand for M.I.C.E. service suppliers - hotels, convention venues, audio-visual equipment, catering, stage builders/decoraters, photographers/videographers, performance artistes etc

The list goes on. There are, however, certain characteristics that a destination must offer in order to successfully capture the M.I.C.E. mindshare. These include accessibility; infrastructure; a wide range of service suppliers; political stability and safety; etc.

My own conclusion is that its easier to attract a business visitor as opposed to a leisure visitor.

1 comment:

Benjamin Cassim said...

Over the past couple of days I have been in a discussions with some students addressing the impacts of the current global slowdown and how in such times it becomes more imperative for companies to market and promote themselves.

In an article that appeared in TODAY on 8 October (Wednesday), tourism industry experts were reported to have emphasised the importance of stepping up promotional efforts (for regional tourism boards) and made specific reference to participating in trade shows and advertising.

This is a vindication of the important role that trade shows will continue to play in the business marketplace. I dare say that M.I.C.E. activities will continue to offer effective promotional platforms that companies cannot ignore.

Benjamin Cassim
Temasek Poly